Saturday, August 25, 2007

Momma's Milk to Cheeseburgers

After my baby has been exclusively breastfeeding for almost 9 months, he is now eating solid food by default. As the third baby he sometimes fends for himself. That sounds awful, but I'm sure mothers of 3 or more pre-school age and under kids completely understand what I mean. One day, a couple of weeks ago, Isaac was in the older boys' room with Alex. Alex, being the oh-so compliant child, sneaked his pop-tart back into his room. I just felt as though I should check on the boys. I find that Alex has shared half of the pop-tart with his brother, how sweet. Isaac is so happy with his berry goo line stretching across his mouth and to his chubby cheeks. The next solid food encounter came when I was watching my friend's kids. Her son was in our high chair eating peanut butter toast when I realize I hadn't seen my own baby in a while. So, I start looking for him only to find him under the high chair also eating peanut butter toast. Then, the next week, my friend returned the favor and watched my kids. She told me later that Isaac ate some Cheerios before she could stop him. After all of this, I realized maybe its better to just start feeding him food a couple of times a day instead of him eating the wrong things because he's just in the right place at the right time. He doesn't like infant cereal; he wants real food.

We went out to eat after doing some errands for New Beginnings. It was completely unplanned, so I had no supplemental food for Isaac. By default, he had Mexican rice. It's as though he's gone from momma's milk to cheeseburgers overnight. Oh, and last night he stole Alex's chocolate milk and downed the entire sippy cup before anyone noticed. Alex was horrified that his brother drank his "boo-shake." (Ah, my children and their naming abilities.) So, we've officially broken two pre-twelve month old allergy rules...whole cow's milk and peanut butter. Next thing you know, he'll be riding in the front seat of the car.

And I'm not feeling a relief in his transition to a couple of meals a day. I love nursing, I am a breastfeeding advocate. What if we don't have anymore kids...this is the last child I'll nurse...it makes me a little sad. I have been pregnant or nursing for the last 3 and a half years of my life. It has a lot to do with who I am right now. I just think when it does end, I'll need somewhat of a morning period. And then I'll go on a great date with my husband and stay out for hours and hours and not be ruled by my milk-a-licious breasts. No more rushing home to feed the baby or pumping(which I hate). See, there will be a bright side. Hopefully, though, we will be blessed with a girl in 2-3 years. And then I can start all over again.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

riding in the front seat of the car...lol.