Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Think on These Things

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is lovely, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phillipians 4:8 (ESV)

I walked into our local Christian Bookstore and asked my friend/owner of the store if she had read anything good lately. She said the one's she had read were not worth the $15 purchase. Then she added the next book in Terri Blackstock's series had come out. She asked if I read the first book, and I told her that I had. It's also the only book in my life that I have returned. Her new series is about the power going out everywhere, not even transportation of any kind work. It has a "War of the Worlds" feel. It's completely disturbing. I can handle a bit of disturbing. I enjoyed "War of the Worlds." What I can't handle is the exposure of the depravity of the human race, and the thoughts it leaves you entertaining. You expect it from the secular world, but from a christian author it was a little too much.

During those last few weeks of pregnancy with Isaac, I read a lot of books. This particular book being one of them. I had to read the entire book before I could go to sleep. I was hoping for somewhat of a good ending only to be disturbed further. Exploiting selfishness, murder of the most innocent, twisted trains of thought can't be good or glorifying to the Kingdom. I'm not saying that I live in my little "La La Land" and everything is always sparkling and lit by rainbows, but I do believe in edification and thinking on lovely things. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me; she has a huge fan base. I just think that if you are a Christian, you have a responsibility to watch your words and your actions. Her words in print are somewhat destructive to the things you should think on according to Phil 4:8. She's a talented fiction writer who is able to reach a particular audience; I would just like it if she would feel convicted and not write another destructive thought process promoting series. Just my personal opinion.

By the way, I did tell this to my bookstore friend and she agreed, but admitted she still had to read it. SEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you are blogging. It's always fun peeking in on everyone's lives!