Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hello, Poison Control? It's Me Again.

Uh, hi, Poison control? Ya, I called you last year after my 2 year old ate a packet of silica beads. We had just purchased a new stroller. Why do they put those packets in the stroller bottom?!!? Oh, right, the reason I'm calling again. Well, you see, I planned on taking my boys to the park to play with friends, even though I didn't really feel like it. Ya, I'm in a funk. So, I parked all three boys on the couch while I took a quick shower. Our cat died on Monday, and I've just kind of stopped functioning. That's strange isn't it? Well, this was my first shower in 3 days. Just a few minutes no extra indulgences. When I came out of the shower, the younger two boys, 2 and 15mos, were getting along so well in the corner. Isn't that nice? Until I realized they had shared an entire bottle of Teething Tablets. How many? About a hundred. Oh, this is one of your most popular calls? That's what you said about the silica beads. Gosh, my kids are such followers...Right, they should be okay, but if they start having burning, hot skin or eye dilation, oh, sedation? That could work out alright since the baby has given up sleep altogether. Ya, no naps either... Okay, thanks Pam. Ya, I'll call you back if their skin starts lighting up. Talk to you next year.
Yes, I am making light of this. Of course, it wasn't funny either time I had to call. I've never had to deal with this before Alex arrived. That kid is a goat. And the teething tablets were accessible because I had forgotten that I used them for the baby last night. Sleep deprivation and all...I feel like such a bad mom...I'm gonna be alright though.

So I keep bouncing between these two thoughts, hence my funk:

Any idiot can survive a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears you out. -- Anton Chekhov

and

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing. That's why we recommend it daily. -- Zig Ziglar

You know, in high school our band would play this really "funky" song. And in the song we would yell, "who's got the funk, we got the funk!" As if the funk was good!!!!!!!!

Now I say Funk be gone!!!! In the name of Jesus, I will be motivated to not wallow in the funk. That's my prayer at least. While I'm at it, I'm gonna pray against next year's call to the friendly state poison control office.

4 comments:

WendyJanelle said...

Oh, I just LOVE you! You crack me up! Of course, I'm totally on board with that prayer: Funk be gone, in Jesus' Name!!

You amaze me. I would have been so anxious and freakin' out, and you are laughing and chillin'. Oh, yeah, I have some lessons to learn. :-) I just need more Adelia-time to make things right!

WendyJanelle said...

PS Did you see HOW MANY candy bars we were buying?? ;-) Shhh...don't tell anyone. For some reason people think I'm the nutrition queen...and maybe I am most of the time, but we all have our days when we just need CHOCOLATE! Amen?

Adelia said...

Glad to lend a laugh. And the candy bars, are you kidding me, we all do think you are the nutrition queen!! I figure all super heroes have their weakness, right, Nutrition Queen?!?

WendyJanelle said...

Well, honestly, I didn't EAT any of the chocolate. I gave one to Fred and let the kids split the other one. (One is still in hiding.) My weaknesses are Italian Cream Cake and Rootbeer floats. mmmmm....