Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Kindred, Where Art Thou?

Where is my thing? You know that thing that I'm good at, no more than good, excel at. I was talking to Brett last night about this. I'm decent at a lot of stuff, but I don't excel at any thing. I have an inner artsy fartsy that can do just about anything but nothing fulfills me. Wendy has decoupage and several other things, Ellen has scrap booking, as well as Melinda, and Suzanne has found her soul mate in stamping. Where's my kindred?? Yesterday, I got this little round box (well that's one of those oxymorons, huh) at Tab's. It was the perfect size for our Boredom Box. What's a Boredom Box? I have listed all of the activities we have at the house, and then divided them individually onto tiny papers. When we don't know what to do, we go pick from the Boredom Box. Sometimes I forget some of the things we can do. No more, ah ha, I now have it in one place. And it's exciting to see what the box will dole out to us.I decoupaged for the first time in my life, (gasp). I covered the box in a fun primary color, big dot paper. A primary color block print was chosen for the lid. It's really cute. I also decoupaged a black charger I had hanging around. It was fun but not fulfilling. Just like every other crafty thing, I looked at it in victory---I created something with my hands instead of my uterus. That shouldn't be the litmus test. Oh, well, maybe I'm just a Jack of all Trades. I do excel at foreign languages, but when do I get to use that AND that's not letting out the artsy fartsy. Sigh...still searching for my thing...

8 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

I feel ya, girl! You are not the only one! I, too, have been described as a "Jack of all Trades."
It reminds me of when I played on the basketball team in junior high (glad that experience is good for SOMETHING, LOL!). The coach used me as an example (scary, scary, and not nearly as flattering as you might think!). She said, "Girls, look at Jerri. She's not as tall as most of you and not overly abounding in talent (ouch!), but she plays with 110% of her heart...so much more than the least of you tall, overly talented players. An average player who plays with all her heart can win the game!" (not that I ever did! LOL)
So, maybe we aren't totally magnificient at ONE thing, or a FEW things, but we go at ALL things with all our heart and soul! Like your decoupage experience. I, personally have never tried it, but you weren't afraid...and you accomplished it beautifully...BECAUSE at that given moment, for that particular activity, you gave it all of your heart. Make sense? I hope so! LOL ;-) Luv ya girlie!

Adelia said...

Thanks, Jerri! Those words were wonderful!!

Jerri Dalrymple said...

You are more than welcome, LOL!

WendyJanelle said...

Your thing? Oh my, girl! I think sometimes we are so close to a situation that we can't really even see it for what it is. You are our caregroup leader!! You make me smile, you make me laugh, yu pray for me and comfort me. Does your "thang" havta be a crafty thing? You are an absolute inspiration!! And, Jerri, that goes for you, too!!

You lift others up, and you do it so effortlessly. Just a happy luagh, an easy smile and the room is aglow. That's your thang!

And crafting is FUN!!! You just can't be perfectionistic, because that drives the fun far away!! ;-)

WendyJanelle said...

yu= you
I shouldn't type when I'm tired. Maybe I should sleep. Yeah? Okay.

WendyJanelle said...

ugh. luagh= laugh
I hate spelling things wrong. Must sleep. Must take pain pills and sleep...

Jerri Dalrymple said...

ahhh...lol thanks, Wen!



SPELLING??? LOL! ;-)

Adelia said...

Thanks, Wendy. I think I just crave that moment when you're just so great at that tangible thing. However, I'm so glad to hear that people do like me, and they feel good when I talk to them...it fills my cup!!