Sunday, April 6, 2008

Frazzled Female

My pastor is known for praying for "less of me, and more of You." I picked that prayer up for myself about a year ago. Well, there are the good weeks and then there are others. Last week falls under the other category. Activity filled, fever ridden, sleep deprived week that it was...Well, it's left me in a state of function evaluations: edit out the unnecessary and focus on the preciousness of family and the must do's of life.

Sometimes I feel like God backs me up in the oddest of ways. DJ Ice, aka Baby Isaac who likes to touch all things electronic and buttony, was doing his thing the other day. In the frenzy of button pushing he located a Christian program that was interviewing a lady author. Then the button frenzy began again. I caught enough of the program to know her book was titled Frazzled Female. And I caught her definition of "frazzled female." A stream of familiar words swam out of her mouth and rained down on me like a huge wave, like over committed...under slept. Those are the two I identify with the most right now at least. I don't know one woman in my circle who is not a frazzled female. Each in our own ways. Does being a modern day woman mean that we have to live in some state of frazzlement?! I sure hope not. We're getting back to the basics...again. Yes, we assess the situation every so often and adjust appropriately. I've felt that laid upon my heart lately. That's why this next week is a back to basics week for me and my family.

Anyway, in looking at the Frazzled Female site, I clicked on the "recent thoughts" and found this. Just as my pastor encourages us to pray, Blessed are you when you are at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule. (Matthew 5:3-The Message) So, take heart and know that you are blessed when you are stressed. Isn't that such a better way of looking at it instead of, "I'm so stressed out...the kids are driving me crazy...I'm sooooooooo tired...there's not enough time in the day...blah, blah, blah." On the days when I'm a little out of tune, I'm known to say "same song different verse" or worse "second verse, same as the first." (Melancholy me...down with her) Anyway, my new song is "Blessed to be Stressed." Because no matter what surprises come, it's not a surprise to Him. No matter how much sleep I get, I can always rest in Him!!! I am very excited in my Techno Baby's skills. He blessed his momma. DJ Ice, Ice, Baby...He's too cool. Ya, that's a word from his mother!

4 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that The Frazzled Female is an EXCELLENT Bible Study for frazzled and frustrated women!!! I did it about 4 or so years ago and I still refer back to it now and then. Anyway, the author's name is Cindi Wood and she also does a weekend devotional each month in the Journey Devotions for Women mini magazine. Although I haven't read it, she has also put out a "sequel" if you will, to The Frazzled Female, called Victoriously Frazzled. Sounds like you should check out the study! ;0) It's not long or hard, but refreshing!

WendyJanelle said...

Ha! You know, I love the *idea* of the book. And it has great Scripture references. But I couldn't handle her writing style at all. Especially not after doing Beth Moore studies, which are so amazingly organized, thorough, in-depth. I guess it all depends on your style and what you expect.

There is a Bible study coming up in June called Love Well by Beth Moore. It will be at FBC. I'm trying to get more details, and then I'll let you ladies know... :-)

Adelia said...

I guess I should say that I don't plan on doing a bible study on frazzlement or anything else right now. I'm reading 4 books at present. Just one more overcommittment. It was just nice to hear someone else back me up at the same time I'm editing out. I do this every so often. Just busy being busy. I once heard someone say busy stood for Being Under Satan's Yoke. Anyway, that's when I step back and unbusy myself and then focus on being PRODUCTIVE. I do like the little thoughts Cindi has on her site though. Just nice to stop by and have an impromptu devotion. :)

WendyJanelle said...

I'll have to check out that site.:-)

I know what you mean about busy-ness VS productivity!!