Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wise Words From the Landromat Lady

My heating element went out in my dryer during the rainy, cold days last week. I had just washed 2 loads and decided to visit the friendly neighborhood landromat. My kids were in laundry heaven, and they let me know how neglected they were to never have visited a laundromat before...poor things...such a bad momma...Anyway, they did really well and even sat in the seats that I asked them to sit in. Well, the two oldest did well; Isaac stole a lady's rolling basket full of clothes and rolled to the other side of the place...are you kidding me??? He's only 16 months old, but, Boy oh Boy, can he get into a mess. I noticed an older lady eyeing the boys the entire time. I was worried they might be on her nerves somehow. She went and sat by them, looked at me, and said, "You know, this reminds me of me and my boys 50 years ago, Dear." She had three boys too, now in their 30's. She looked at me again and added, "The days go slow, but the years go fast." Wow, she captured it, didn't she??? I love being a Momma--it's my joy AND exasperation, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm known to say that I'm unemployable, no amount of money would make me want to switch "careers." And one day, I'll even treasure all of the exasperating moments...But head the words of Grandma Laundress, THE DAYS GO SLOW BUT THE YEARS GO FAST!

1 comment:

WendyJanelle said...

So true!! I feel that way all the time, and I love this laundry lady phrase!
Btw, you can use my dryer if you need to dry a load today...