Friday, June 13, 2008

Some Days I'm Just Not Like Jesus...

My goal in my daily life is to reflect the heart of the Lord to everyone. Some days, I fail miserably, we'll blame that on hormones for now. But most days I do a decent job. I also believe that everywhere you step is your mission field. I find myself doubting all of that right now. No, no, not doubting the Lord or the truth of the above. How can I say this? Well, let's just start with the big event...

Tuesday afternoon, I was driving home and had just turned down the street which takes me home. I was cruising with the kids to "Beautiful Sound" when I look over and I see a lady sitting on her steps with her small child. No big deal...Sitting in front of her were two boy missionaries, MORMON missionaries. My heart started pounding, I turned off the music and started saying, "no no no!" and praying out loud. T-Bird asked what was the matter. I told him that I saw two people talking to a lady pretending to love Jesus but adding false teaching to their belief. We prayed together. I honestly felt like I should go back and apologize to the lady for never have stopped by before and just start a casual conversation and then blast the doctrine of the boys with the truth of Jesus! BUT I DIDN'T! And why, because it would have been strange!!!! What a cheese of a reason! This is my big beef with me and the world of "Christians."

I told you before, but it's so true, I try to reflect the Lord in all I do...I get so upset with complacency in Christianity. I pray, pray, pray. I lecture about our community being our mission field! And look at me!!!!!

I did call my friend and ask her to pray for the lady. Turns out she did (as I knew she would) along with her children. Her children even prayed for the lady and Mormons at dinner which was somewhat of a random wonder moment for the Dad since he didn't know the back story.

Anyway, back to the story. For Christians in general, being a missionary is only cool if you leave the contiguous United States. You are rarely recognized as a missionary unless you do so. This is soooo wrong and just stupid. Yes, let's hide our light from our neighbors, community and state, even country! Whatever! By the way, that was laced with sarcasm. Every Christian has the charge to spread the Word! No, you don't have to knock on doors, but definitely live an uncompromising, Jesus love showing life. Mormons go door to door and actually get into those doors. On the flip side, how do we do Outreach? Family fests, concerts, special speakers...the list goes on, but the lost have to come to you not the other way around.

I should add that my purse was stolen at an outreach. No one from the church announced the missing item or to look around for the item until most people had left. No one from the church prayed with me or checked on me. What if I was a lost person who had all my money in there for my bills and such. How would that have effected their view of Christians? Let me tell you, if that had happened at the Mormon Tabernacle, they would have stopped by with food and help with bills and taken them to service, just loved on them. (Now, people did show us love during that time, but NOT people from the church) This is my point. When a Christian outreach had the chance to love on someone they didn't even reach out!

My mom lived in Salt Lake City for a while. I'm not saying Mormons are bad, actually they are very loving and wonderful. My mom has several Mormon friends. To even take it a step further, the place my mom was going to rent was accidentally let out to someone else when she arrived in SLC. There she was with all her stuff and no where to go...a lady came up and talked to her. The next thing you know she's living with this lady (Mormon) in her spare room. Who does that? That's an extreme example, but the point is that Mormon's are not afraid to put their faith on the line. Even in the United States, they see that as their mission field as well as the horrid 3rd world countries. They think your cool either way.

I start conversations everywhere I go. Just in my personality to do so. Now, I'm going to be more purposeful in my conversations. Our churches that have been planted in India charge each new Christian to invest time and love into one person's life a year for seven years. There is a supernatural growth for the Lord there, and they take up that charge. Brett and I do a similar thing. Even if you invested in one person, isn't it worth it to get out of your comfort zone? What treasure will Heaven hold for you!

And I would like to add a little something about training our children. Mormon families have family night when they go out to eat and pour their faith into their children. They explain what they believe, how they can show others, what to say if someone disagrees with you...I know the majority of Christian families do not have a time like this. Not a solid 2-hour block in a great atmosphere where they make their faith the show stopper. While I think the Mormons have the wrong faith, yes, I know they believe in Jesus, but it's the other stuff they've added that is FALSE, but they do have the "evangelical" part down to an art.

Maybe we should take notes...At least I would like to be more bold. Jesus would have turned the truck around...I did pray, T-Bird prayed, and my friends family prayed. The ferverent prayer of a righteous man avails much right? At least I did something....

Now, I'm in prayer and reading the Word to arm myself for the next time...Next time will be different...hopefully....

And hopefully, this was somewhat coherent, my brain is on overload from this event...so much to express...I'm not even going to reread it...


post signature

5 comments:

Thaddeus said...

I'm sure the Lord will bless you for your kind, out-reaching heart. Let your light so shine.

Mrs Smiley Joe said...

Thank you for you kindness, Thaddeus.

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Thaddeus...Thaddeus. Man, I like that name. Thad for short? If I have another son... maybe...

Anyway, sorry, I lost my train of thought!

Oh, yeah, you are SO right!! We have a mission field right here. ALL around us. Next door, next street, next pew. While it's great to go oversees, there is also SO much opportunity right in front of our eyes. We walk past the blind & hurting people all the time.

Yes, we need to wake up. We need to "let that little light shine" a bit more clearly! I love that song that says, "If we are the Body..." Gets you thinking. HOW are we being the body? Are we teaching, running, helping, aiding? Or are we just content to smile, give a pat on the back, and say "I'll pray about it."

Prayer IS powerful, but words without actions are dead. ARE we really praying? And are we being God's Body to act on that prayer when He calls us to? Powerful message, girl. Great food for thought. Food to nourish the body and GET US MOVING!

MaryLu said...

I stopped over from Amy's blog. I was raised a Mormon and I am constantly amazed to think that we as Christ-followers won't often do for the truth what others will do for a lie.
You go, with your Jesus-loving self, and keep spreading the truth.

Amy J said...

Ah yes, you are so right....kindred souls, you and I. Having moved here to Utah, I have to say that I LOVE it!!! And it does have a lot to do with the Mormons, the way they care for each other. Yes, I've learned a lot of the darker stuff too (I have a LOT of ex-Mormon Christian friends...I'm convinced God has a reason for that!). But the care that they have for the church body, the devotion to a united purpose...THAT is something that is dying in Christian churches. And here, the Christian churches actually seem even further off the mark in terms of caring for the church body....it's as if they are trying so hard to not be Mormon that they shun the good stuff too. The church we're attending now has a LOT of ex-Mormons in it. The pastor and his wife included, and it is awesome because it seems as if they have taken the good things from the Mormon culture and applied it to their new Christian faith. I LOVE it. I always say, "It is a very small church with a VERY big God!" Oh, and missions...yah, my 12 yo (!) is going to Los Angeles' Skid Row in a couple of weeks with this church's youth group. My Momma heart wants to say NO WAY but God has told me this is right where my boy needs to go!! (Keep him in prayer....they still need to raise $3000 in 6 weeks...11 kids)
Blessed day to you Smiley!