Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Minimalist in the Making?

A self-confessed and professed messy, I find myself leaning and looking and wanting clean lines, less clutter, a general smoothness that makes you feel all fresh inside. This general leaning has lasted for a few months now. I'm not quite sure what to do about it. We all know that I get caught up in all kinds of fancies. I heard a lady refer to her fancies as short lived ambitions. I liked the description.




We had our carpets cleaned a couple of weeks ago. In preparation for the grand event, we put all of the furniture {minus the furniture from the bedrooms}, toys, and other usual suspects into our kitchen and dining areas.




We were all left with a general awe as we went into the rooms. Not just because the carpets sparkled but because the house seemed so clean and large! Brett voiced my exact thoughts at the exact moment I was thinking them {this is why we're great together}, he said, "Are we becoming minimalists?" My reply, "Is it wrong that I hope so?" The boys even asked us to keep the house without furniture. I think my family is crying out for help.




I used to keep the cleanest house this side of the Mississippi, not just clean it was not overridden with this and thats. For me, things fell apart when my back revealed its broken contents about a month after T-Bird was born. I was unable to bend or twist or lift or do anything that would prevent you from gaining 50 pounds in a year. {Oh, wait, that is a rant for a later date} This one is about my clutter keeping. I couldn't keep house the way I wanted and had been keeping. I couldn't even lift my own child.




My back is tons better than it used to be. I live with slight pain every day of my life. But I'm am now completely capable of taking care of home. However, somewhere in the recovery, I became a messy. A girl who gets big ideas and forgets about the tidying she was doing, a girl who bonds with everything...You know, oh we can't get rid of that because great granny so and so gave that to us. I'm also the girl who has a hard time saying no. Oh, you want to give my a big bag of junk, why thank you, we're honored to take your junk. Someone stop this woman!




It doesn't help that I have kids. {I love my kids, don't get me wrong} But kids come with junk too. I prefer wooden toys, toys that don't make noise, toys that make the kids think--Yes, I'm a mean Momma and have grand ideas about playtime. Just another freckled fancy. However, did you know that grandparents and other extended family don't always get on board with this momma's fancies? And because I'm a messy, I have the hardest time getting rid of these plastic, space claiming, noise making gifts. {Sigh}




Here's a peak into our stint as minimalists.

Plenty of room for golf. That's an indoor sport, right?



Our solution to keeping dirt off of the drying floors. Fwoopy. {That's the way T used to say slippery when he was teeny tiny. Brett and I still say it. Yet another word we've added to our awesome vocabulary.}



So...minimal....


Alas, this was waiting to be put back...somewhere...

It made a good jungle gym for the boys too.
Please know that I am purging this week. Fall cleaning, if you will. It seems like I did spring cleaning just yesterday.
Oh, and my blog look will be changing soon. A cleaner, smoother look.
{Okay, a quick aside, I've been fiddling with html codes and have learned how to make 3 columns!! Who ever thought I could do html?!?!?!} {And yes, that had nothing to do with a cleaner, smoother look!}
Back to my thought, I can't stand the clutter. And I think I'm going to add freckled fancy in the header. You know, smiles, blessings and freckled fancies. Just wanted to let you know so you don't think you are in the wrong place.


I'm off to purge some more.

post signature

2 comments:

christine said...

You warm my heart. I am right there with you!!

Adelia said...

Thanks for keeping me company!