Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Fussbudget

I'm having to make myself blog. If I don't do it now, I feel as though I might not do it ever again. So, I'll blog about my trip to Braum's for milk and a handful of other items. I have an extremely sensitive child. I thought that he was just difficult, as it turns out it's a little more than that. Hopefully, I can post that situation later. Just know he's sensitive and a bit of a perfectionist, the world should turn in the idea of how he thinks it should turn. He's a fuss budget. And I love him.

Sooo, Braum's right. The boys picked up a couple of snack items while I was on my dairy run. All was well with the world. And then I checked out. Still well. I started to pay when Professor X began lamenting about not getting to put his item on the counter. I tried explaining this miscommunication about Momma not realizing he needed to place his item on the counter. The bellowing commenced. I said my usual, "Prof, you have this. You can control your tears." And while our emotional breakdown was occurring the lady behind the counter was looking at us like we were insane. I gave her encouragement, "It's okay, I forgot to let him place his item and pay for it. He's melting down but will be better shortly." She laughs. I noticed the Prof had ceased his hysteria only to realize that he had gone around the aisle, taken his item out of the bag, came back around and placed it back on the counter.

I looked at the lady, "Could you just pick that item up and place it in the bag as though he was the first to put it there?" Again, a glare of insanity, "You want me to put it in the bag?" Me, "Yes, he took it out of our bag and would like it very much if you took it from him and put in in the bag." Her, "Just pick it up and put it in the bag?" Me, "Yes, he's just particular. Could you just do it?"(in my kind voice.) Her, "O--kaaaay." Me, "You see he has oddities, sensitivities and the goal is to raise him by not giving in too much so that he thinks he can wail his life away just to get what he wants, yet not ignoring him and telling him to suck it up which will lead to a scarred childhood and resentment toward me. Yes, placing that in the bag really helped combat the whole scarring childhood thing. Thank you for helping me." She laughs and gives me one look of you are crazy, but have a great day.

*I have to note that this is the first clerk that has not immediately taken the item and made peace with the Professor. Yes, we have had a couple of these incidences before. And yes, it was funny because of the lady's reaction and the fact that the Professor's rearing has come down to a balance of 'suck it up' and coddling.

All in a days work.
post signature

3 comments:

Lauren said...

the daily adventures of your life make me smile. I'm glad that you were kind to the clerk and didn't tell her to "shut up and put it in the bag!" That is probably what I would have done!
Lauren

Jenny said...

You are much nicer than I would have been! She must have been a young clerk - definitely not a mother - or at least not a mother of boys.

Joel can spot a mom of girls a mile away. When he does something ridiculous the mom laughs - he knows she has boys. If she looks at him like he's lost his mind then he knows she only has girls. I don't know how scientifically true this is but most of the time he's right. :)

Suzanne said...

I just love you and wonder more and more if you are in my life to help ME with Wyatt. He can't lay on his pillow which is square unless the lines are running horizontal and NOT vertical. :)