Friday, December 11, 2009

Paved Paradise

I came of age during the '90s, so part of me will always love '90s music. Oh, yes, '90s music, you were great. Counting Crows is still one of my favorite bands (even though we may not always agree politically). Remember the song Paved Paradise? I often sing that song. Brett and I drive around at least one weekend a month looking for our dream land, the place that we're gonna set up shop on. I cannot tell you how many times we have found 'the perfect spot' only to realize the it is/was part of a housing development that has yet to be developed. Oh, but they have paved the roads and cul-de-sacs. No houses, but baby, we have pavement! Ah, ack, ugh. Then I start singing Paved Paradise.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you got till it's gone They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot {Brett does the back up bopping}

Argh! Anyway, we have a paved paradise near our home. It's a grassland. The weather was recently nice {not this week...bbbrrrrrrr} so I loaded up the boys and their scooters to at least make use of the smooth pavement. They had a blast, but we were soon lured into the wonderful grassland...


When in doubt, carry your scooter.




I love this kid's beautiful, milky goodness. My little dutch boy.



Intense.



Tah-dah...Naturally nature....


Who let the little one lead?!? This happens all too often and is a bit disconcerting. Oh, fearless leader!






I'm a bit of a nut about acorns. A freckled fancy. Tiny acorns.





T-Bird pretending to be a Native American hunting buffalo.

We spent beautiful hours weaving in and out of the grass. The kids loved playing hide and seek in it. This area has been paved for over 5 years now with only a handful of houses down the road. Some have sat completely empty. I'm all for capitalism and growth, but I wish developers had been slightly more responsible.
{Random tangent:When I think about nature and how sometimes it's irresponsibly gutted out, I think of Fahrenheit 451. When I read it, I remember being so thankful for Clarisse McClellan and the fact that she was fun and noticed trees. I never want to live in a Fahrenheit 451 world. Even though the title of the book is hot, it was definitely a chilling read.}
Back to happy thoughts, we love this little area and will continue to make use of it until the houses are built.
It was a lovely day.
post signature

1 comment:

christine said...

Love your pictures!! I would love to tag along with you someday. You guys seem to have so much fun!