Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Little Secret

Probably the most dominating personal/earthly desire I have and have had is to loose weight. Most of you small town gals know my story. I'll not go into the details, but will say that after I had my first child it came to light that I had 3 crushed vertebrae. My body had grown accustomed to the injury and had a little defense around it. However, your body releases relaxin when it goes into labor. About a week after that first baby delivery, I woke up, couldn't move my legs but could feel extreme pain. The relaxin had loosened my defense system. Longer story shorter, I gained around 50 pounds in a year. Lots of pain and sadness followed. I couldn't even lift my then infant T-Bird. I couldn't run. I just couldn't. But I learned to deal with it.

Two years later, we had Professor X and 17 months later, we had our surprise baby, Hoot. These pregnancies didn't make the weight vanish, just so you know. I have worked so hard these past years to equip my back to be stronger. Chiropractic care, rehab therapy, pilates, yoga, walking {which hurts more than I like. Bah! Walking!} But I do it. I was told the likelihood of bending, twisting, jumping would be actually be highly unlikely.

But God doesn't know details and schmetails of can't, and unlikely's. I feel like my efforts have been honored. While I'm not even a size 8, I am stronger than I've ever been. And I can do a backbend. Haha, take that, you silly back!

And we've figured out that I produce too much estrogen. Lots of symptoms led me to the Doc's office to figure out that little bit of information. One of the most interesting symptoms came about last summer and fall in the form of a sweat-a-poolza. Embarrassing. Ladies don't sweat, they glow. I must have been neon! So, now I'm on a natural progesterone cream and mostly organic diet.

The good news is that in the last year and a half I've lost 33 pounds. Woo-hoo. Sometimes I don't feel as if I've lost anything. But if I stop and think about it, I have made great progress. Maybe I haven't done it as quickly as others, but I am doing it. My goal is to drop another 20 pounds. No big deal.

But here is my secret. I have not had any pasta since August of last year. My dear husband took me out on a hot date this weekend to one of my favorite restaurants, and I have to admit that I didn't order a salad....No, I ordered pasta!! {MMmmmm, mmmm} And I liked it. And I didn't feel guilty...And it was a nice treat. Alas, pasta doesn't go back on my menu. But once again, I ordered pasta and I liked it.

Whew, I feel better about getting that off my chest.


post signature

2 comments:

Lauren said...

congrats on your progress... 20- or 20+ pounds, i still think you look beautiful!
i do miss our very fun conversations. i'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!
lauren

Shan said...

Great job Adelia! I haven't seen you in a while but you are one of those beauties who looks good with or without extra weight so I say whatever makes you feel best about yourself!!!

That sounds like a lot of hard work and I know it is nice to see and feel those results!