Tuesday, July 20, 2010

School's Out For Summer...

...Unless you are a Little Boy Blue and have started your 2010-11 school year. Yes, we are starting. Besides, we're spending quite a bit of time indoors with the heat warnings. Wooo-doggy, it's hot.



The boys and I try to rise early, eat breakfast and then play outside until we nearly perish from the heat and then in we go for baths, snacks and quiet time.



This year I have a pre-k, K, and 3rd grader. Oh my, where has the time gone?



My Professor X is my K this year. He is so bright and just devours learning. However, he is sometimes...what's the word...shall we say...difficult. Hmm. Yes, difficult. He has been from the beginning. Behaviorally, he's either the best or worst--no in between. I had reached my wits end this past winter when I looked at Brett and said, "Is he going to be a pain in the butt for the rest of his life??" Yes, I had a moment of weakness and said pain in the butt. The Professor was no where near our conversation, and I was expressing my frustration in mothering and training him. What a battle it has been!


That's when I believe the Lord placed just the right people in my life. I have a couple of mommy friends who listened to my concerns and prayers and suggested I look into the Professor's behaviors and habits. They each had an HSC--highly sensitive child. Not wanting to be a joiner, I started to do research before labeling my child. A couple of books later and a therapists view point we had ourselves a child with Sensory processing disorder SPD. Now that's a broad spectrum. The Professor doesn't have a full blown SPD challenge such as autism. He just needs a little help. I plan on sharing a bit more of this journey later. I just know that there are a lot of moms out there wondering what is going on with their child and have no idea that they have an HSC. This school year I hope to share how we are integrating some sensory activities and how we avoid melt downs.



Because we have an HSC, library story time has been off limits for a while now. Okay, for years. This makes my bookworm heart sad. The solution to the void in my heart came to me when I was thinking of our beautiful downtown area. We have a GREAT downtown. Did I already mention that?? I decided that we would rise early before the heat of the day, go downtown, throw out our blankets and have our own story time and activities. This way the Professor is not over stimulated but is still being stimulated. Oh, what a fine line we walk.


And you know what? It's been a success!



We read a jungle story and brought our own jungle animals for interaction with the story. Then the best part: I bought this game at a yard sale from my friend Suzanne. We call it tails. So, the boys turned into a lion, a tiger and a zebra and off they went to steal {or should I go ahead and go country and say yank} the tail off of a brother. The little circle maze of flowers was the perfect place for tail yanking. What a time they had!


T-Bird has a caught a zebra tail!

Pouncing zebra.



My Professor X with his giraffe for story time.
My pouty Hoot, who is quite ready to get the fun going.





I think the fun is finally going.

P.S. I have no idea why all of this has only a single space after each period. It's not me, it's blogger. I even went through to try to put in another space. Ugh. That's one error that is not mine. No, mine are the typos and mispellings...I love my readers who stick with it. I'm terrible at editing my own pieces. Or perhaps I just don't care to be great at it at this time. Either way, thanks for hanging in there.

post signature

4 comments:

christine said...

Sweet, sweet pictures!! Can't wait to hear about everything you've learned!

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..http://forlots.blogspot.com/