Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tales from the Mountain

Much better. This week is much better than the last. Last week we moved from Small Town. Small Town filled with my very loved friends. Small Town with The Cafe on Broadway with my favorite sandwich with a cilantro ranch dressing. Small Town with Pour Jon's and the best coffee ever. Small Town with the 3 little boys' barbers. Small Town with all our memories. Small Town.

Enough about Small Town, I'm craving a sandwich and a good conversation now. Let's get onto The Mountain. We now live on The Mountain which is 2 hours east of Small Town. (Geez, forget about Small Town) I have made little jokes about The Mountain for years. Things are just different here. I'm slightly astonished to find that some of my jokes are true. (The peanut gallery: Boooooo) Anyway, we are staying in a Tiny House while we remodel our Big Red House. By Tiny House, you may think I'm exaggerating, as a sanguine is prone to do. Rest assured I am not. This house might be 900 sq ft...might be...

Why would any sane family of 6 live in such tiny conditions? Well, we are not sane for one. For two, we are paying such minimal rent that we are able to save a substantial amount of money. That money gets put right into Big Red House and this little family of 6 will have no mortgage. Hello! NO mortgage! Sure, it's probably going to take 2 years to get it to the level of awesome that we want it to be. We'll have it livable by April of next year. So, what is that like 7 months? I think we'll make it. The sacrifice is worth the end result. Financial freedom and an amazing house in the middle of nowhere, I mean, nature.

I had a difficult time last week. It was like living in pioneer days. No phone, no internet, no tv, no vehicle (because my mom hit a deer on the way home from our new house and we let her borrow ours until hers is fixed), no faces....I can do seclusion...If I choose it. Not when it is forced upon me. I grew up rurally. Trust me, this is not rural...this is...desolate. A beautiful desolate, but desolate nonetheless.

Anyway, better this week. I've made no mountain folk friends yet. As a Small Town friend once said, "Maybe if you stopped calling them mountain folk..." I don't think that's really the challenge. These people are a tough group. I've tried for years to get in with them to no avail. I used to think that they did not like me. I think I was wrong in that. I think they just see through me. I'm going to start sporting a hot pink feather boa every time I'm out. They'll have to notice me then!

Perhaps I should give you little snippets of our life here:
The boys go to bed without complaint. They are smooth worn out from their days. They have discovered a sand pit across the road in the church's yard. We went on a walk and discovered dozens and dozens of deer tracks of all sizes. T has caught a lizard, a salamander and 3 snakes. Lady Bug has added 'spider' to words that she can say. The mountain does sun rises well. Deer come to our back window.

A cold spell hit last week and we were unprepared to say the least. Boxes here and there in storage. Some Tiny House boxes didn't make it to their proper destination. Hoot's boots are missing. For those who know Hoot well, you know that this is a catastrophe. Hoot wore all of his Long Pants (aka jeans) during the warm days. Cold arrived and Hoot was Long Pantless. He found some of T's old jeans and this what I overheard:

Hoot: Size 7? Those aren't my size. Oh no! They won't fit me. (Light bulb eyes with a bit of aha!) Wait a minute! These were in my pile. Maybe they WILL fit me.

And he did make them fit. I just love him.

The Prof has had a rough time. Sometimes he loves it here, sometimes he doesn't. We're working through it.

We started homeschooling this week. It seemed to be a welcome sense of normalcy for us all.

Yesterday, I was attempting to give instructions to the Professor for his school work. He cut me off and said, "I know what I'm doing. Don't tell me! I went to kindergarten!" Whew, that just took a load off of me. One less kid to teach. Har, har.

That's the update. We are hillbillies and making it so far.
post signature

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Adelia, you WILL make it. What a precious post & your sweet boys! I'm praying for a friend just for you. When we moved to Arkansas I felt the same way, without the total desolation - we aren't isolated here. I'm praying God sends you a friend that becomes just as dear to you as the ones you left behind in the 'big' city.

Adelia said...

This tells you I'm a little raw, Ms Jenny, your words brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for your encouragement and prayers. I kind of needed them. :)

Soaring High said...

I love reading the little tidbits and I think you should sport that pink feather boa!!

Adelia said...

I could start posting the antics I try weekly to gain attention and friendship. Ha!

Charlie said...

Miss you. Enjoy the mountain and all it has to offer.