Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Babies Don't Keep

I have a to do list.  Sometimes it's written down in a proper list, often it's in my calendar and for sure it's in my head.  My to do list is endless.  It will never be completely finished.  Ever.  EVER.  Right now, I have so much to do.  However, I've been getting these special times with Lady Bug that I've not had in so long, maybe ever, and I find myself completely ignoring my to do list.

You see, T-Bird was a squiggly, squirmy kid too busy to be held.  You can imagine my joy when the Professor arrived and he loved to be held and cuddled.  Hoot was lovey but wanted his personal space or just his Daddy.  I joke that I was just his milk maid.  He only wanted me when he needed me.  Lady Bug liked to be held, but she was so tiny.  It's like we didn't fit properly.  I don't know how to explain it.  You know how you snuggle and you fit like puzzle pieces, I never got that with her.

All that has changed as of late, I'll find us in the wee morning hours snuggled perfectly together.  Her sweet face so close to mine.  I have to resist kissing her all over.  Her "chubby" {chubby is a relative term for Lady Bug--chubby for her} little arm rests sweetly against my chest as her hand holds my neck.  We fit!

Today, I rocked her to sleep.  Her belly keeping my baby belly warm.  I rocked in my orange chair, my favorite chair.  I decided to lay my head back and forget the dishes.  I found myself nodding off...zzzz...It was lovely.  And then I heard, "Did anybody call for an assassin?  Heh.  Heh.  Heh."  Lego castle play was pretty intense in the background.  There I sat, rocking my baby, eyes closed, listening to the intensity of Lego world.  {I really need to keep a transcript of Lego play in my house.}

I don't know how long this will last especially with a new baby on the way.  I do know that I'll not regret holding her instead of mopping the floor.  You know when I'm seventy years old, I'll not lament all the days I missed of mopping and dishes or living out of laundry baskets instead of having everything neatly tucked away.  I'll smile with a sweet memory of holding my baby.  And it will be worth it because Babies Don't Keep.

download available from laybabylay


post signature

No comments: